Abadi announces the return of Iraq

3/10/2018

Confirmed the existence of many investment opportunities in the country
Vivienne Walt / from Time magazine -
translation / Anis al - Saffar
as Prime Minister, Haider al - Abadi, the losses suffered by Iraq in the war against "Daesh" as up to $ 91 billion, pointing out that the world is not ready He said he had met with companies in Paris and Washington, told him that security did not concern them and that "they have another concern, namely red tape and bureaucracy"

This comes at a time when he warned that there is nothing to Iraq in the conflict between the United States and Ran, and said: Our message to the two friendly countries: "We ask you not to describe your disputes on the land of Iraq, we need to support you together, but keep your differences outside Iraq."

In order to know the plans of Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi to create a lasting peace and building a solid democracy, met by the magazine "Time" in Baghdad.

During the dialogue, Abadi talked about the "epidemic" of corruption that plagued his country, what it would entail to prevent the "reawakening" of the re-aggregation of its remnants, and the region, such as the war in Syria and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

* Time magazine: How will you prevent "reaping" from regrouping and exploiting the chaos that pervades the region?
Abadi: One of the important faults that allowed the "urge"
to make this rapid progress in our cities is the weakness of our communication with our citizens, because citizens should feel that it is an integral part of this country, and this is a fundamental issue.

The task of the government is not reflected in the solution of religious, sectarian or ethnic problems. These are obsolete and I do not think that there is a government in our time capable of resolving all these differences.

However,
the government of this time can fulfill its promises to its citizens and see them before the law either.

Time Magazine: Now that you have destroyed a military "advocate," what makes you need US troops in Iraq? Should not they return to their homeland?

I did not call for the presence of US forces in Iraq. All I said was that we did not want an incomplete mission. In Syria there are still safe havens for "Dahesh" and areas controlled by them, and some of these areas are adjacent to our borders.

Do not forget that they tried to establish a state for them in the region, and I think they were not far from realizing their dream and their goal.

Time Magazine: When will the need for the participation of the US military in this war disappear? We still need to complete a few things: rebuilding our armed forces, completing the task of training our security forces and supporting logistics and intelligence cooperation.

We still need all these to make sure that the "da'ash" is completely destroyed, not only on the military level, but in its existence.

There is a large number of terrorist cells that we continue to pursue. They are training suicide bombers and murderous murderers in order to continue their terrorist attacks.

Time magazine: Today you have an American administration that is hostile to Iran while you are allied with Iran and you have relied on its support in the battle against "the da'ash". How can you maintain the strength of these two alliances?

There was a common factor: the terrorist organization represented a threat to the entire international community, as well as a threat to both Iran and the region. So there was a strategic interest as I think the United States and the other allies under its leadership.

We do not want anyone to interfere in our affairs. This conflict between the United States and Iran is going back years and we do not care about it. Our message to them is: We ask you not to describe your disputes on the ground in Iraq, we need your support together, but keep your differences out of Iraq. "

Time magazine: You relied on the US Air Force as you relied on Iranian ground forces.

The US Air Force and its reconnaissance capabilities have provided us with an opportunity to outdo the terrorists, thereby reducing our casualties and enabling us to hit enemy headquarters and infrastructure.

But the fighters on the ground are the ones we relied on to liberate the territories, and here comes the role of Iranian experience. I say frankly that we have received Iranian experience because of their vast experience in the field of guerrilla warfare and other battles.

We have benefited from these experiences in Iraq and were certain to us, along with the great firepower provided by the United States and the rest of the allies.

We have combined these two forces.
* Time magazine: Is Iraq's energy carrying another attack for "Daash", perhaps under the name of another different?

No country can afford such an attack because its costs will be terrible, both on the humanitarian side and on the material side, so our policy is to deter and prevent it. People must feel that they are an integral part of their country and that they are citizens of it.

The other task is reconstruction.

We paid the price twice: the first when it invaded "Iraq and Syria" and caused the displacement of millions of their cities, apart from killing many people. In the second we paid the price when we started to free our areas.

The destruction is enormous, and we estimate it to be about $ 46 billion, let alone the housing problem, adding another $ 45 billion to homes and homes that were destroyed.

We realize that the world is not willing to donate such money, so we have to try differently, and today we encourage investment. Iraq has many opportunities available.

I met many companies in Paris and Washington. They told me that the problem of security does not worry them. Rather, their concern is focused on a different side, the red tape and the bureaucracy.

* Time magazine: Everyone we met talked about one problem is corruption. How have you been able to deal effectively with this problem over the past years?

Corruption epidemic is rampant. People call me to throw corrupt people behind bars, but where do I start? It's a thorny process. Working in this field means conducting many investigations, and many of these investigations must be conducted abroad because the money is deposited there.

The fundamental change we are trying to achieve is to make our work system transparent and remove bureaucracy, because corruption lies behind the bureaucracy, with red tape. That is the basis of corruption.

There is always a bottle neck, and I am sure what I say. From within the system of work there are always those who try to exploit the bottleneck and bureaucracy to serve their purposes, take the subject of passport, for example, people used to pay 300 or 400 dollars to get a passport, and that is because the process was months.

In the past, the government was trying to prosecute the corrupt and put them in jail for bribery, but we returned to ourselves and said let's simplify the procedures for obtaining the passport to see.

Today it is possible to issue the passport within one day or in three or four days at the maximum and then the problem is solved.
Q: What are the talks currently going on between you and President Trump and his administration on what should be the status of Iraq?

The common interests are great among us, and so we have to evaluate the construction, but we are different in certain matters.

First there is the US policy towards Iran, and then there is the problem of the resolution that was adopted on Jerusalem. We also had a problem with the Turks when they entered their forces into northern Iraq.

These are issues that go beyond the Trump administration, so we have to address them on the basis that the United States is the United States and Iraq is Iraq.

Time magazine: It's been 15 years since the US invasion and many say the Americans have made serious mistakes that Iraq is still paying for. Do you see this statement as fair or fair? It is also because the US administration made a major mistake in 2003 when it made the occupation an official one.

They had the opportunity to transfer responsibilities to an Iraqi authority and then continue to provide support and support to Iraqi citizenship.

The other major mistake was to impose law and order on a foreign army, because armies do not know how to apply law or order within cities. When the US military began to attack, they referred the matter to Iraqi military forces to enforce law and order in cities and bring peace.

This was not fair on their part, of course. These soldiers are trained to fight and any citizen facing the challenge was seen as an enemy, and this resulted in many frictions.

The mistake of the United States is that it has made the occupation of Iraq official, because when you declare your occupation of Iraq officially there will be others demanding an end to this occupation, and this is what dragged us to this terrible disaster.

If we want to build our country, the opportunity for us to have a new relationship with the United States is more positive than it was after 2003. Time Magazine: Do you expect a day when Iraq will have relations with Israel?

This is a difficult issue. We have Palestinian refugees in Iraq, Jordan, Syria and everywhere. This region will remain a cause of instability and instability unless this dilemma is solved. Peace solutions must be equal. I see nothing but coercion, including the issue of Jerusalem, and the United States' decision on this matter will not help to address the history of this city.

TIME: Did you get this picture of President Trump?
I conveyed it to Secretary of State Tilerson when he phoned me before the announcement (December 6) to tell us what would happen.

This is an issue that can not be resolved by one decision. You can not change a situation in its entirety.
* Time magazine: Do you think a solution to the Syrian war can be found through negotiations that keeps Assad in power?

This is just one face of the problem, while the other is that there is an area that feels the maximum threat, and this is controlled by the Syrian Kurds. If Syria disintegrates, God forbid, the whole region will be in danger.

If the Syrian Kurds try to change the map now on the ground by force, it will be a big leap forward, forcing others to change their maps also. For the last 100 years, this area has been divided by pen and paper only. Those who drew the border are the ones who created the present countries.

If anyone tries to change that, blood will spread throughout the region.
Time Magazine: In 2014, our magazine published a number that had the words "End of Iraq" on its cover. What is wrong now is that Iraq has not forgotten that.

Time magazine did not hurt at the time at that time. It was on June 30, 2014, when five of our armed forces had collapsed, the terrorists were roaming our cities and there was no power in the hands. However, after our campaigns in Mosul, Tal Afar, Hawija, and western Anbar, we changed the battle, perhaps within a week or more.

All the enemy could do was flee from our face and continue to flee. Their morale was crushed while the morale of our people was on the rise.
You once declared it the "end of Iraq" and I now propose that you declare "the return of the emergence of Iraq".

http://www.alsabaah.iq/ArticleShow.aspx?ID=153877