PDA

View Full Version : Macular Degeneration - You can prevent or at least slow it down.

The Hawk
11-01-2011, 07:55 AM
People keep asking me if Juice Plus+ helps macular degeneration.

If you have early age related macular degeneration, I recommend frequently grazing at the salad bar to protect your sight. AMD is a leading cause of blindness, but good nutrition can help hold it off. Make a beeline for the carrots, SPINACH and other dark, leafy greens. You want their LUTEIN, ZEAXANTHIN and BETACAROTENE; all fight AMD.
Omega-3 fatty acids also are vision-savers; find them in wild or canned salmon, trout, canned tuna, some nuts (particularly walnuts) and supplements.
I recommend 900 mg a day of algae-based omega-3s in the DHA form.

If you have intermediate AMD in one or both eyes, or advanced AMD in one eye but not the other, there's good evidence that specific amounts of vitamins C, E, A (or beta carotene), copper and zinc can keep it from becoming advanced. That powerful combo is called the AREDS formula (for Age-Related Eye Disease Study). Just "don't try this at home." Talk to your ophthalmologist. There's no evidence that AREDS helps early AMD. Only lutein (10 mg twice a day) and those omega-3s (900 mg a day) can. JP+ is a very good start.

www.icon4health.com

God'sgurl1
11-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you for that info Hawk. My Dad, Uncle and both Grandparents had/have it. Way scary!

I have allergies to the supplement lutein.. it's main source is marigolds so that's a BIG plus
to know it can be obtained through vegetables!!!

Your the best Hawk.. ;-)

gigi3
11-01-2011, 10:41 PM
God'sgurl, The yolks of eggs are good sources of lutein. As Hawk stated, all the dark green leafy veggies, broccoli, orange peppers, corn, and tangerines are great, ...supplying almost double levels of sight saving antioxidants if eaten raw! Also excellent is raw parsley, basil, and paprika! Here's to seeing all of our blessings!
Thanks Hawk for all of your insight into the health world,

God'sgurl1
11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Gigi3.. thank you for that info! I didn't realize that. Unfortunately I am allergic to eggs and citrus. But I do eat a lot of raw
spinach and broccoli.

Health, foods and wellness can be very tricky because everyone is so different. But all these thought provoking post with these
awesome tips and insights really do help!

Thank you again Hawk for your time and expertise!

Patrizia
11-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks so much for this info and for all the info you continue to give to us.

Caviar Dreams
11-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks Hawk for bringing this to every ones attention. It is a topic close to home. being fourth generation with vision issues, all of dads family being blind (11 that we know of) many never knowing the cause and the more recent ones identified wet macular. There are a lot of good programs (many at no cost) available if someone becomes legally blind, federal, state (oregon here) and through the VA. I use all your dietary suggestions along with with trying to keep triglycerides and cholesterol levels low, wear sunglasses when in the sun and avoiding smoke. If anyone can get numbers from their ophthalmologist there is an AMD risk assesment calculator on the, OHSU Casey Eye Clinic, web site.
http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/health/services/casey-eye/index.cfm

The Hawk
11-02-2011, 06:30 AM
The trick here is Fruits and Veggies. Now I know that we all don't eat enough of both. Veggies are most important and we seem to eat very little of them. When we cook them, we lose most of the Nutrition. Except for carrots.
So, what is the answer? What if I told you you can get 17 fruits and vegetables in a capsule form? Or in a gummie form. Great for you and great for your kids. And if you are about to have a baby..................... it is safe to take. What it does all of the time is "Improve your Immune system" It is your Immune system that fights off problems in your body. Prevention is the key. However, if you do have a medical problem, it will help you get better.
I am going to repeat this again. I don't care who you order Juice Plus+ from. Just do it. www.icon4health.com Please do it for your family if not for yourself.